Tuesday, July 03, 2007

For the Love of Bugs

Last Monday, I came to the Kinabalu National Park with my family members. It's my second time visiting the site for an amazing photography session. There, I finally discovered that I'm actually in love with bugs and insects! Okay, that JUST doesn't sound right huh? AHahaHa...

This is where it all started; my first time experimenting with photography, accompanied by Jay. I can still clearly remember how I was very much intrigued with macro shot of bugs (don't get me wrong, I still hate those annoying mosquitoes and flies). When I arrived here again, I experienced the exact feeling of excitement. Well, pity my sisters, they waited for an hour before I completed my photo hunt!

Imagine, how one can easily ignore such a little creature in the wild outdoor. At first glance, I agree that bugs are boring. But try to look closer. I mean very very close. That is where photography would work its charm and miracle. Combined with the right angle and distance, you'll be able to witness these beautiful bugs from a different perspective. Next time, you might think twice before you decide to kill the pesky insects in your house (no complaints for the mosquitoes though). So what if I practice double-standard? Lol.

From my experience, snapping the perfect shot of a bug can be rather tricky. After all, it IS a mobile creature. Once you've spotted a bug, you need to approach it slowly and carefully. If not, your subject of interest would simply fly away, leaving you with utter disappointment and frustration. Yes, it requires a lot of patience and timing. However, if you manage to capture it, the "feeling" cannot be compared to any other experiences in digital photography, at least for me. What I'm trying to say is, it feels even better than having a perfect picture of other subjects like urban structures, landscapes, culture, potraits and so on.

Well, enough with the crap. Here are the photos! Owh, have I mentioned that mushrooms are also interesting? Hehe.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Wild Parasites

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Open up your umbrellas!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Red and Black

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A Golden Treasure in the Forest

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Miss Ladybug

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Colourful

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sad..but bugs are always bugging me!brrrr...but cool eh..u noe how to play da blur-blur effect..i dunno how..tried once..burok arr..sedeh..isk! good job ed!

Chris Wee SJ said...

Hi Edgar,
Your sister told me of your interest in photography and asked me to visit your site. I can really see your interest. They are really good shots. Keep it up and of course, bugs are God's creatures, like us, who do have good and beautiful sight when seen at the right angle and perspective.

hwen said...

Good shots!

Haha, what really makes me mad is when my camera's shutter lag ruins the opportunity to take a picture of a highly-mobile bug. =(

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha, I like that Golden thing.

Jason G said...

wow.. Miss Ladybug is so professionally taken. im impressed! the Golden thing is nice too but the angle is a bit too common. X)

Anonymous said...

woaa. all da bugs look soo beautiful. even though i dun like bugs but the pics is nice. i'm loving dat golden thing and umbrella. =>